Saturday, October 10, 2009

The 10 Commandments

Do you know The 10 Commandments? My grandparents used to have this very old looking scroll in the kitchen of the commendments, and I read it every single time I was in there. They took it down probably 10 years ago. Let's see what ones I can remember:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife
Thou shalt not steal
Thou shalt not use the Lord's name in vein
Thou shalt not murder (ok I know it's something like that)

I think that's all I can remember lol. Here is what they are:

1. Thou shalt have no other God's before me.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
3. Thou shalt not take the Lord's name in vain.
4. Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy.
5. Honor thy father and thy mother.
6. Thou shalt not kill.
7. Thou shall not committ adultery.
8. Thou shalt not steal.
9. Thou shalt not bear false witness.
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

With each religion comes different Commandments. I looked up the Christian version, and again it varied. So I picked the one that sounded closest to the ones I remember. There were a few I did not remember at all, funny.
     Let's break them up and I'll describe them in leymen's (sp) terms because they get long and tricky when looking up the Catechism meaning. So here we go:

1. Basically you are not allowed worship anyone else.
2. Same thing, no worshiping idols and what not.
3. No swearing or making fun of people who worship God.
4. You are to do no work on this day, nor make anybody else work.
5. Basically respect your family.
6. Not allowed to kill, unless in a War.
7. No cheating or lusting.
8. No stealing.
9. No lying.
10. Also known as "Thou shalt not covet." No cheating with your neighbor's wife.

How many have you broken? I have broken six, maybe seven. How awful is that?!

*Just know that any of this may be innacurate, I researched for like 10 minutes. Plus, there are so many different versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about what Bree Said?