Saturday, October 10, 2009

The 7 Deadly Sins

OH SNAAAAAP!!! Alright, I wanted to do this topic because it has always interested me. I know of them, have seen the movie 7, but I never really studied up on it and the meaning or purpose of these things. Let's start with what they are....

Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride

When watching the movie, I remember looking at some of those words going WTF IS THAT?! Let's give a short definition of these words, then talk about it shall we?
(Let's also throw out there that over time these "sins" have changed significantly. Research it, you'll find a ton more sins that were originally on the list)

Lust: Lust or lechery, is usually thought of as excessive thoughts or desires of a sexual nature. Aristotle's criterion was excessive love of others, which therefore rendered love and devotion to God as secondary. (I won't go into the nastiness that lust is supposed to cause, like rape and beastiality)
*Alright, so is saying that I lust after my husband wrong? I think not. I certainly don't think it's appropriate to lust after Jesus. Maybe these days, our definition of lust is different than back in the day. The Bible says we're allowed to have LOTS of sex with our husband, is wifey terms: attraction=lust. Right? So I think I'm ok on this one. I might just find a better word to use, just in case.

Gluttony: Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony (Latin, gula) is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. In the Christian religions, it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food, or its withholding from the needy.
*Can I plead the 5th? Snap, I have failed on this one. I might have eaten too much in my time. To the point of waste? Eh, probably not. I'll admit to throwing food out because it tasted like crap or because it was spoiling. Crime? As far as withholding from the needy? I may not make food for homeless or take it out of their hands while cruising the alleys. But I do donate alot to the less fortunate. So I think that makes up for it. The 60 pairs of shoes? Eventually they get donated, so I think eventually I even out on this subject.

Greed: Greed (Latin, avaritia), also known as avarice or covetousness, is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of excess. However, greed (as seen by the church) is applied to the acquisition of wealth in particular....greedy behavior which include disloyalty, deliberate betrayal, or treason, especially for personal gain...scavenging and hoarding of materials or objects, theft and robbery, especially by means of violence, trickery, or manipulation of authority.
*Well now, I guess I have to blame the person who came up with "See a penny, pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck". Because apparently I was being greedy because I did not earn this penny. Yeah, I'll admit I fail at this one (hello Vegas). Probably something I have to work on. For the record, I don't break into people's houses or anything like that. The simple fact that sometimes I gamble, sometimes I keep money I find...you know, the usual.

Sloth: Gradually, the focus came to be on the consequences of acedia, rather than the cause, and so, by the 17th century, the exact deadly sin referred to was believed to be the failure to utilize one's talents and gifts...The modern view goes further, regarding laziness and indifference as the sin at the heart of the matter. Since this contrasts with a more wilful failure to, for example, love God and his works, sloth is often seen as being considerably less serious than the other sins, more a sin of omission than of commission.
*Yeah, I had to look this one up. Confuses me a little, but is summed up as being lazy I guess. I don't failure to use my talents and gifts, the ones I know of. Nor do I fail to love God and his works. The only sin I see I have committed here is laying on the couch watching tv. Something to that extent. I don't see God really caring about that though. So I think I'm good on this one.

Wrath: Wrath (Latin, ira), also known as anger or "rage", may be described as inordinate and uncontrolled feelings of hatred and anger. These feelings can manifest as vehement denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial, impatience with the procedure of law, and the desire to seek revenge outside of the workings of the justice system (such as engaging in vigilantism) and generally wishing to do evil or harm to others.
*FAIL! I can actually one-up myself and say I support vigilantee's (sp). I know I know, but HEY, the justice system isn't so perfect. I don't hate on someone who bursts into the courtroom and shoots the person dead who raped and murdered their child. I guess I support Wrath more than actually following through with it. I am not a "rage" kind of person. My bark is worse than my bite. Suppose I should work on this one too. I know that once someone dies, they then pay for their sins and it's not up to us to make them pay. But sometimes people get away with it, and go on to committ other crimes. I dunno, tough one. I'll just make sure to control my rage and anger lol.

Envy: Like greed, Envy (Latin, invidia) may be characterized by an insatiable desire; they differ, however, for two main reasons. First, greed is largely associated with material goods, where as envy may apply more generally. Second, those who commit the sin of envy resent that another person has something they perceive themselves as lacking, and wish the other person to be deprived of it.
*I personally think you eventually grow out of envy as you get older. I mean, even when your 45 years old and look at someone like Demi Moore and say, "She looks gorgeous for her age, that bitch! I wish I looked like her." It doesn't necessarily mean you think she SHOULD be ugly, and you should be the gorgeous one. I can "envy" someone (by this definition), but also see it as appreciating something they have earned, and maybe even work harder so I can have that too. I don't mean that in a greedy way either!! More so like envying another woman with a great husband and two wonderful kids, being a single woman you also would like to have a loving family like her. That's what I mean. I do have resentment towards celebrities though, but not for my personal gain, to the people who really deserve it. I think celebrities are the greediest people alive! How the hell do they deserve to make $1 Million dollars per episode (Friends' actors), $50 Million per movie, and $100,000 for appearing at a nightclub for two hours?! If anyone DESERVES to make that much money, it should be Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, Presidents and such. They work hard to save people's lives daily. That a-hole over there made $30 Million for making me laugh for an hour and a half, but the Doctor who saved my life during breast cancer surgery made five or six figures. Granted, I know these days doctors have a bad rap, but I'm speaking about the GOOD ones. (Side note: I used breast cancer as an example, I didn't actually have this cancer.)

Pride: In almost every list Pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God).
*Let me just say, in my daughter's school, the biggest thing they learn is PRIDE!!! I think our definition these days, is again, different than what they considered back then. We teach people Pride as a way to be proud of yourself, accepting. If you have crooked teeth, have pride in those crooked teeth. Have lots of freckles? Be proud of them. It's not meant to be better than anyone else, just being proud of the person God created. Unless we're talking "Brown/White/Black Pride". That's a whole other blog lol.

How do you fair in the Seven Deadly Sins? I can see myself working harder on some. But basically I think I am doing fine. Just because I think it would be cool to be a millionaire, I don't NEED that kind of money to be happy. As long as I can provide for my family, I think I'm doing just fine.

1 comment:

What do you think about what Bree Said?